Friday, June 22, 2007

Monkey Mind 2.0

Oh Hi! I didn’t see you there…you startled me a bit. I’ve got a jumpy nervous system; probably from the Space Food Sticks and Fizzies I ate as a child. On the other hand, that’s also where I got my cat-like reflexes. So there you go.

Anyway, before you showed up, I was musing about a few things that I think you might find interesting. Then I looked up, and there you were. It’s funny how that works…you’re thinking about one thing—it seems important at the time—and then a different thing grabs your attention (in this case, you) and away you go, forgetting whatever it was that you’d originally been thinking about.

But I digress…or do I? Because if I can’t remember what it was that I had been thinking…nay! musing about… then how can I even be certain that I digressed from it? I suppose I could simply fall back on bitter experience and say that I know that I’ve digressed in the past, and so it’s quite possible that I’ve digressed again here in the present. And besides, if it wasn’t digressing that I was doing, I’m not quite sure what it could have been. In a sense, the fact that I can no longer remember what I had been musing about actually proves that a digression took place: just about a minute ago, right about where I’m standing, and not too far away from you.

But who am I to say?

NEXT TIME: We take a spin in Astrud Gilberto's sidecar, plus a review for the test.

10 comments:

Tara said...

Now that I've finished reading your post, I'm feeling mildly bedeviled. A job well done.

Blog from the Bog said...

Years of Bookmobile fumes sadly taking their toll...Awesome set up folksnake! Is that pic from Mt. Olivet?

folksnake said...

Too true about the fumes...and the heat (that comes to mind on a day like today).

That picture is from the Stonewall Jackson Cemetery in Lexington, VA. One of the most beautiful cemeteries we've visited! Stonewall himself is there (though not his arm, of course...)

Susan said...

I do believe that I see some resemblance to Julius Caesar....

folksnake said...

"...she was a bit odd too..."

I won't have you speaking of yourself that way, Erin (if that is your real name)

Not on my blog!!

TheBookGoddess said...

Bookmobile fumes - oh, sweet memories. And I do crazy cemetery tours looking for my ancestors. Wait, I'll have to try to post a photo....

folksnake said...

Bookgoddess: Ah yes! The fumes you enjoyed were no doubt a gasoline-based vintage, mostly likely from the Boyertown Estate.

We've moved on to diesel-based fumes these days...to misquote Bob Dylan: "I started out on gasoline but soon hit the harder stuff..."

Cemeteries are some of the most civilized places we have these days. Everyone on their best behavior--even the visitors. Be nice to live in one, they're like the ultimate gated communities. Entrance fee is a bit rich for my blood, though.

Leslie said...

Have you ever taken rubbings of your favorite stones? Sounds like an interesting pastime but one I could never bring myself to engage in. It all has to do with a horror film I saw as a child in 1971 called "Let's Scare Jessica to Death." Remember that one? Here's the tagline for the movie, "Something is after Jessica. Something very cold, very wet...and very dead... Gives me chills just thinking about it. As I recall, Jessica had just been released from an institution due to a nervous breakdown, when she and her husband moved to an old farmhouse in the back of beyond - I mean, the country. There are two things I remember most about the movie (1) Jessica would go to a nearby cemetery and take rubbings of gravestones (these ventures were always accompanied by eerie lighting and music) and (2) everybody around Jessica became zombies and were relentless in their pursuit of her. You know the kind of scene I'm talking about where the heroine runs and runs and runs but can never outdistance the zombies. Okay, this reminiscence is becoming too scary for me. I'll stop now before this brings on a recurring nightmare from childhood.

folksnake said...

I saw that movie at the Tivoli (now the Weinberg Center) back when it came out! It was pretty good--I remember scenes around a lake, and that the lead actress played "freaked out" really well--she had a fragile and vulnerable look about her that worked well for the part.

I saw a bunch of those lower-budget films back then...there were always menacing hippies, weird old country folk, etc...good stuff. That was sort of the Tivoli's last-gasp
grindhouse
period, before it closed.

As for rubbings: in the largest cemetery in Jefferson, there is a headstone for Christopher Long, which I've always wanted to get a rubbing of, but never have. When we lived in Jefferson, my ex and I thought the stone was pretty cool--especially since the stone next to it was for "Elizabeth, wife of Christopher Long". Elizabeth is my ex-wife's name. We had planned on getting rubbings of both--they're nice looking stones, especially hers--frame them and hang them over the head of our bed. Fun couple!

Buffalo gal said...

My sister Jean Callaghan is married to John O'Connor. A few years ago they discovered some interesting ancestors from 1800 back on the auld sod....a Jean Callaghan married to John O'Connor. Further research shows that they're distant cousins. He says that proves that they were destined to meet and marry, she says that since they're related the marriage must be invalid.